Friday, August 21, 2009

Disordered Eating—Eating Disorders: Healing Can Happen

This is my first blog! I want my voice to be heard by anyone struggling with disordered eating/eating disorders. Healing Can Happen. I found a better way to live, and you can too. The choice to change was mine, but the actual changing was something God would have to do in me.
An insatiable monster crept into my life unnoticed. When I was seventeen, lost fifteen pounds by following a food plan and counting calories. I looked terrific! I received compliments and praise—I wanted more.

My whole body image became an obsession. Soon after, bulimia became my choice of weight control when I learned I could eat everything I wanted and still lose weight. Deep down, I knew I needed help. Too ashamed to ask anyone, I looked within myself, reading self-help books until I was blue in the face. Eventually, I talked to a couple of professionals. Nothing worked. I was at war with a monster.

Years later, I met God, and He began to pull me out of the battlefield (my bathroom). I took a journey through the Bible and started to mend emotionally. God gradually started changing me from the inside out. I was previously an average businessperson with low-self esteem, struggling to fit in, striving for that “right” look, hoping I came off looking really smart. I slowly emerged a leader because God opened my eyes to the internal gifts He'd created in me. Gifts I never saw because my head was in the toilet most of the time.

I knew I couldn't succeed without being empowered by God Himself to give me consistent strength, graciousness, love, and truthfulness. I just couldn't do it alone. I also came to understand that God wasn't going to intrude on my choices. He gave me free will, and if I wanted His power in my life, I had to ask for it and really want it. I became dependant on God.

As God helped me overcome my fearfulness, my self-image and worth began to improve. “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you” (Ezekiel 36:26). I found the truth and I healed. I no longer live in bondage because in Jesus Christ, bondage is destroyed. Praise God!
God did not specifically choose me to overcome emotional (disordered) eating and negative body image.

Freedom is available for anyone who makes the decision to follow and listen to God. God may use a variety of vehicles to help you—support groups, a counselor or pastor, but He will always point you to His Word as His vehicle to help you overcome. When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I became a new creation. My old ways died, and all things became new (Isaiah 61:1; 2 Corinthians 5:17). His Word told me I was a beautiful, loved, a one-of-a-kind woman. I claimed victory over this monster. Today I look in the mirror and I see F-A-T, a different kind of F-A-T. Faithful And True to my Lord!

I am a biblical counselor and coach, women’s pastor, author and speaker. In my book, “I’m Beautiful? Why Can’t I See It?” and on my website: www.olivebranchoutreach, I share healing truths that have stood the test of time. I can’t wait to continue sharing them with you as the weeks go on. Be blessed in Him,

No comments:

Post a Comment